11th JANUARY 2024: PLAION, a global leading publisher and developer of video games, and Retro Games Ltd., one of the world’s leading producers of re-imagined home computers, are proud to announce today that THE400 Mini – a modern day mini recreation of the pioneering home computer that first appeared in 1979 – will be launching worldwide on 28th March 2024 and is now available to pre-order for £99.99 (€119.99 / $119.99).
Launching with some of the most iconic and important video games of the era pre-installed, THE400 Mini has been created using modern technology to authentically replicate the Atari 400 at 50% scale of the original home computer.
For those looking to relive the gameplay experiences of the 1970s and 1980s, included with THE400 Mini is the THECXSTICK, an enhanced, updated recreation of the iconic CX40 Atari joystick for that added touch of nostalgia. This new controller comes with an additional seven seamlessly integrated function buttons and USB, making it compatible with a wide range of platforms.
Watch the announce trailer here: https://youtu.be/-kr4s_YDJgg
“We have a rich history in creating re-imagined, iconic home computers, and we very much hope that THE400 Mini will become an important part of that legacy. The original home computer was a gaming hero to many, and it’s important to us to re-create the machines that helped define the video games industry and are thus worthy of preservation. We believe that serious collectors and retro gaming fans will love what we’ve done, and should take the time to discover the odd Easter Egg or two as they embark upon a journey into 1970s and 1980s gaming”, said Paul Andrews, Managing Director at Retro Games Ltd.
Stuart Chiplin, Head of Commercial Evaluations at PLAION said “We’re excited to be working with Retro Games Ltd. to bring back an iconic machine that meant so much to so many. Cherished memories from the past must be treated with respect, care and attention – THE400 Mini has been designed to retain the look and feel of the original home computer, while benefitting from robust design and manufacturing and an obsession with attention to detail.”
Key features include:
- A half-sized version of the distinctively styled Atari 400, emulating the whole 8-bit Atari range from the 400 to the 800XL, and the Atari 5200 home console.
- Also included is a recreation of the classic Atari CX40 joystick, with an additional seven seamlessly integrated function buttons.
- The ability for players to side-load their own games via a USB stick, with support for cartridge, disk and cassette ROMs.
- Players can rewind time and save their games.
- HD TV output via HDMI, with 50/60Hz compatibility.
- 5 USB ports which allow for the addition of a modern keyboard, extra joysticks and more.
- Look and feel of 1979: THE400 Mini has been lovingly crafted using modern technology, from the hard-to-match colours of the original machine to the authentic textures of the plastic casing and membrane keyboard, no compromise was made relative to the iconic 1970s look and feel of the original Atari 400.
PLAION and Retro Games Ltd. also announce the availability of a standalone joystick named THECXSTICK, which will retail for £24.99 (€29.99 / $29.99). THE400 Mini will be available at Atari.com for North American customers and worldwide major retailers for £99.99 (€119.99 / $119.99) from 15th March 2024.
For more information on THE400 Mini visit: http://retrogames.biz/links/the400-mini
Founded nearly three decades ago, PLAION has firmly established itself within the entertainment arena. With a diverse range of services and solutions, PLAION stands as the premier publishing partner for console and PC games across both physical and digital channels. Moreover, its strong foothold in the Virtual Reality (VR) domain highlights the company's commitment to varied gaming experiences.
PLAION is an Embracer Group company.